Wavin Lake Balbriggan

The Wavin lake is approximately 26 acres set in a wild life sanctuary. The Lake was man made in the early nineteenth century (1826) to provide water for the Cotton Mills in the Balbriggan area. It was acquired by Wavin, the country’s largest manufacturer and distributor of PVC pipe systems, in 1974 to augment the Balbriggan water supply to the factory, so as to ensure a constant level of water for the plant’s cooling process.

Twenty years later, after improvements to the water supply system in the area, Wavin no longer needed the lake as a commercial natural resource. So, the lake effectively became redundant, but remained rich as a community resource full of beautiful wild life and fauna. Today the lake is home to the Gormanston Anglers, Dublin’s largest all year rainbow trout fishery.

Directions to Wavin Lake:

directions to the wavin lakeThere is no parking at the lake as this is reserved for the Gormanston Anglers. Parking is available at the car park beside the Balrothery Tennis courts

Follow the yellow line from the car park down the main road (there is no footpath on the main road so please mind the traffic which passes very quickly at this point in the road) and walk up the lane to the wavin lake!

Some points to note:

  • There is a lot of wildlife in and around the lake so please respect the wildlife
  • Fishing is only permitted to members of the Gormanston Anglers who pay to have the lake stocked and maintain the area around the lake.
  • Please leave the area as you have found it so that others may enjoy!