Fingal Community Centres running Virtual Halloween artworks competitionOctober 23, 2020 ADMIN 0
The Community Development office of Fingal County Council is running the Virtual Halloween 2020 Countywide Project which will see funding given to 27 community centres to run a mask making, colouring and poem writing competition using virtual mediums.
Each centre will have an age category of 4-7, 8-10 and 11-13 years old with the competition having begun on 12 October and ending on the 30 October. Three winners from each age category will be awarded 1st €40 for 1st place, €30 for 2nd place and €20 for 3rd place in book vouchers which will be posted out.
The Mayor of Fingal, Cllr. David Healy said:
We won’t be able to celebrate Halloween as normal this year as we are still facing the challenges that Covid-19 present to our communities. This means we need to be creative this year and I am delighted to see the Community Development office organising and supporting this initiative to keep a sense of community during the Halloween period.
The Community Development office recognises the challenging environment that is created by the Covid-19 pandemic and the impact that it has on our daily lives. The office always bears in mind the families who are technologically disadvantaged so entries will also be able to be submitted via photographs for those whose entries can be scanned.
List of the community centres taking part:
- Blakestown Resource Centre
- Parslickstown House, Mulhuddart
- Mulhuddart Community Centre
- Tyrellstown Community Centre
- Corduff Resource Centre
- Ongar Community Centre
- Luttrelstown Community Centre
- Mountview Youth & Community Centre
- Fortlawn Community Centre
- Diswellstown Community Centre
- Castaheany Community Centre
- Hartstown Community Centre
- St Brigids – Beechpark
- Huntstown Community Centre
- Castleknock Community Centre
- Applewood Community Centre
- Holywell Community Centre
- Fingal Liam Rogers Centre
- Flemington Community Centre
- Castlelands Community Centre
- Rush Multipurpose Youth Facility
- The Cottage Community Centre – Lusk
- Macullins Community Centre – Lusk
- Donabate Portrane Community Centre
- Baldoyle Forum
- Portmarnock Sports and Leisure Centre
- Rivervalley Community Centre
You can find further contact details for these centres on our website at https://bit.ly/2HvFJSA
Margaret Geraghty, Director of Housing & Community for Fingal County Council, said:
The Community Department of Fingal County Council continues to provide services and initiatives to the communities of Fingal. This competition is a great way to keep up the community spirit during the Halloween period even while we are facing difficult challenges due to Covid-19 currently.
I hope this initiative brings some of the fun of Halloween to the many children and families across Fingal and I look forward to seeing and being ‘scared’ by the art work, masks and poems! I would like to praise the work of the Community Development office for organising this competition for the young people in Fingal.
Our Halloween Programme this year recognises the challenges faced by our communities and seeks to support the centres to reach out to these communities across the county by providing the means to engage with young people and their families via Facebook / Centre Websites.