Fingal County Council launch Activities in Nature CompetitionApril 9, 2020 ADMIN 0
Fingal County Council are delighted to announce that our Environmental Awareness department have launched the ‘Activities in Nature’ competition. The competition which encourages people to try out some fun nature activities is now open for applications. This competition is open to all, however only residents of Fingal and Fingal staff and their families will be eligible for the prizes. Photos of the completed activities must be submitted with the application form.
Applicants must choose to complete six of the following activities:
- Create a bird feeder from things at home.
- Make a bird Treat! Bird Feed – Pine cones or stones covered in Peanut butter and rolled in seeds.
- Paint stones, paint characters or your favourite designs.
- Spot/ identify 3 different cloud types, write them down, draw the cloud shapes.
- Make some pressed flower or feather bookmarks.
- Identify 3 types of trees near your home (using leaf undergrowth and bark colour, buds, leaves), list what you find.
- Identify and record 3 native wild flowers around your home eg. daisy, dandelions, buttercup, birds-foot trefoil, sorrel, primrose.
- Build a ladybird home/ bug hotel.
- Do a bug hunt- see what you can find- ladybirds, caterpillars, bees, snails, beetles, spiders, ear-wigs, flies or any other insects.
- Draw and colour a picture of your favourite Irish wild animal.
- Find 6 different types of insects or birds, write them down.
- Create a shallow mini-pond in a bucket.
- Find some fungus growth on trees/ wood/ walls.
- Find some frog spawn in a slow-moving freshwater stream, visit it regularly and see the baby frogs in April…
- Find a wild/ native ivy habitat and list five insects/ animals or birds that might live in it.
- Draw and colour 4 native woodland leaves, different shapes, e.g. Ash, Oak, Birch, Hazel.
- Draw and colour our native Irish frog!
- Draw and colour your favourite garden bird or sea bird.
- Draw and colour your favourite Irish sea creature.
- Draw and colour your favourite native Irish insect.
- Draw and colour an ancient Irish animal, e.g. great deer elk, woolly mammoth, bear.
- Choose your favourite Irish mammal, write down 5 facts about that mammal.
- Draw and colour your favourite native Irish bird.
- Draw and colour your favourite Irish wild mammal.
All applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30pm on May 15th.
The winners who will be announced in May will a receive €50 One4All vouchers.