Happy New Year & Thank You from Remember usJanuary 22, 2016 ADMIN 0
Remember Us have again been chosen to be one of the 3 nominated charities participating in the Tesco Community Fund Initiative for the next 6 weeks. When customers shop in Tesco, Balbriggan, they will receive a token of goodwill to place in the donation box of the local good cause they would most like to support. We would be very appreciative and grateful if you could support Remember Us when shopping in Tesco, Balbriggan.
Club days have now resumed. See website for full list of activities etc. www.rememberus.ie
Update on our new home. We hope to have the keys by end of month.
Remember us are looking for ladies to participate in the women’s mini marathon in June in aid of the group.
Also we are running a charity cycle on Saturday 28th May so all you cyclists save the date.
Here is a review of 2015
Our Membership grew and we currently have over 230 families registered with us. (impacting on approx 700 people)
We take in members at present aged 4 right through to adulthood from the North Fingal and surrounding areas
We provide an integrated social outlet ( and a lot of indirect learning) for young people with special needs and support for their families.
We provided the following in 2015:
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday evenings each week, every Saturday and two Friday’s of the month for 4 different age groups. Each age group were eligible to attend the clubs twice to three times per week. Activities include cookery, art n Crafts, drama sports, dance outings and lots more check out our website for full list of activities for all ages www.rememberus.ie
An Easter camp
A six week summer programme ( 4 days an 1 night per week)
4 Family respite breakaways where we offered the families a 2/3/4 night break
Families dined together each evening, kids clubs were organized and supervised by some of our CE /TUS placements, family disco evenings, family bingo evenings and Themed evenings were also organized, Kids clubs in the mornings and some outings during the days were also on offer. Between 130 and 170 people accessed each break.
A parents /Carers Respite Break also took place in September and we organized a walk , boat trip on Lough Derg and a meal in Killaloe while down there.
- Volunteer recruitment drive
- Support and informational to families
As we are up and running just over 17 years now and I always have the vision that we would need our own base, somewhere our members could call their own and house all our activities under one roof and also develop new services and in 2014 the time was then.. We embarked on a fundraising /marketing campaign over the past 18 months we have raised €336,000 to date. (this came about through sheer passion, determination and drive and seeing the benefits the organization has brought to so many members and their families and what more it can bring when we have our own base) This is enough to buy the property we have identified which is in Balbriggan Retail park and pay all fees associated with it and a portion to start the fit out of same.( which will cost circa €240,000)
The new base which we hope to have the keys for by Christmas is shell n core. We have to fit it out from scratch. It is over 7,000 sq ft. We will be putting in the following
- a sports hall,
- sensory room, Vitally important for our members who have autism
- games room, (we want to develop a youth café for our teen and adult members)
- activity rooms, to run our various programmes and set up a support group for parents of newly diagnosed special needs children and a parent /toddler group
So we will be looking for COMPANIES/BUSINESS AND THE COMMUNITY IN GENERAL to come on board and be part of this vital building for our very special members in the community.
WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
- Become a patron!
- Sponsor a room,
- supply materials/services
- make a donation
- Support fundraising events.
- No matter how big or small the donation it all adds up at the end of the day!!!
Remember us would love to hear from you!!!!! It would be a real feel good factor each time you pass the building knowing that you helped us achieve it?
We currently have a two prong fundraising campaign going on, one for our new base and one for the day to day running of programmes etc. We get a small grant from the HSE towards the programmes and family respite and a small grant from Fingal County council towards our summer programme . While we get these small grants they only cover approx half of the cost to run the programmes. We have one paid position which is job shared and the money for this position come from the Department of Children and Youth Affairs , some of that money also goes towards programmes. None of the money we get from fundraising /donations etc goes towards paying the one staff it goes directly towards putting on the programmes for our special members and towards our new base.
Remember us were short Listed for some awards this year.
- Fingal Dublin Chamber excellence award in the North for profit section. “Unfortunately, after winning it in 2014 we were unsuccessful this year but it was a great honour and achievement to have been shortlisted for this prestigious award
- Fingal County Council community group of the year award. We were delighted and honored to come 1st runner up in the youth section.
- Balbriggan Town Awards: We were also delighted to get a Certificate of Merit in these awards.
These awards are a great recognition of the positive impact that Remember us has made on the community.
Remember us us would like to express their sincere gratitude to the following people and organisations who have become PATRONS and fundraising partners, funders etc
- Premier Patron: Progressive Credit Union
- Patron: Andrew’s Spar
- Patron: Millfield Shopping Centre, Balbriggan
- Patron: Colin Hughes LEC LTD.
- Patron: Cllr. Tony Murphy
- Patron: Country Crest
- A massive thank you to all our Fundraising Partners ( check out our website for full list www.rememberus.ie)
- Balbriggan chamber of commerce in particular Tony Murphy, Sean Corrigan, Chris Harmon, Kevin Tolan , John Cumiskey
- Fingal Dublin Chamber
- We would also like to thank the community in general for all their support during 2015
- HSE, Department of Children and Youth affairs
- Fingal County council
- And everyone else who supported us
A BIG THANK YOU GOES TO OUR AMAZING VOLUNTEERS WHO GIVE UP SO MUCH OF THEIR TIME TO SUPPORT OUR MEMBERS AND FOR THEIR COMMITMENT TO REMEMBER US. We are always looking for volunteers to assist and supervise our special members. No experience necessary.
SO AS YOU CAN SEE REMEMBER US IS A VERY BUSY AND VITAL CHARITY PROVIDING AN EXCELLENT SOCIAL AND SUPPORTIVE SERVICE TO SOME VERY SPECIAL YOUNG PEOPLE AND THEIR FAMILIES IN YOUR LOCAL COMMUNITY .
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT WHAT WE DO OR BECOME A VOLUNTEER OR YOU think you could HELP no matter how big or small please give me a call on 0876692683 or e-mail email@example.com
Remember Us Founder/Coordinator