Healy Hat-Trick Heroics

October 25, 2013 0

Balbriggan Community College began the defense of their under 19 Leinster crown in Gormanston College on Wednesday last. On a glorious autumn day, they took on a very potentially dangerous Gormanston College team in a midday kick off.


Darrell Mooney, Balbriggan Community College

Balbriggan started the game the brighter with some good spells of possessions and nice fluid movement. They looked to be in total control and dominating the game. Then on 15 minutes, Gormanston College won a throw-in near the corner flag on their left hand side. Their full back threw the ball speculatively in the Balbriggan penalty box. After at least two failed attempts to clear the ball landed at the feet of the Gormanston centre forward and he turned and dispatched it low and hard into the bottom right hand corner of the Balbriggan net. The Balbriggan goalkeeper, Peter Donohoe had no chance. Balbriggan were somehow 1-0 down from a position of total dominance.

The Balbriggan response to this was impressive to say the least. Less than five minutes later they were level. After a lovely passing movement on the edge of the box starting with Dylan Casey, who cut in from the right side and played a ball to Chris Darby on the edge of the box. He slipped Balbriggan striker Jack Healy through on goal and he was pulled down by the Gormanston defender. Referee Joe Boylan pointed to the spot and awarded the penalty. Chris Darby picked up the ball, put it on the spot, and with only two steps confidently placed it in the bottom right hand corner and the Gormanston goalkeeper had no chance. It was 1-1 with less than twenty minutes gone.

Balbriggan were in total control and it was no surprise that less than five minutes later they were in the lead. After some lovely intricate passing up their right hand side involving Niall Healy, Keith Perdue, Keith Richardson and Chris Darby, the ball ended up at the feet of Jack Healy on the edge of the 18-yard box with his back to goal. He somehow turned and beat two players and then chipped it past the on rushing Gormanston College goalkeeper. It was a fantastic goal a great piece of individual skill. A goal wordy of putting a team 2-1 in front.

Balbriggan were steam-rolling Gormanston and Chris Darby was running the show in his role just behind the centre forward. Gormanston could not get near him. He was in good company with Dylan Casey and Colm O’Reilly causing havoc on Balbriggans left hand side. Chris Darby hit the cross bar from a short corner on the left and the lethal Jack Healy almost scored from a great cross-delivered from Niall Healy on the Balbriggan right. On the half hour Jack Healy scored his second. He was put through down the Balbriggan right with a pinpoint pass from Keith Perdue. As the Gormanston goalkeeper came, rushing out Healy brilliantly chipped it over him to give Balbriggan a 3-1 lead that they fully deserved.

Gormanston College were not even threatening with captain, Nathan Rooney and Emmet Curran very commanding in the centre of the defense. Keith Richardson and Nathan Mindomba were in total control of proceedings in the mid-field department. Balbriggan were in free flow playing some excellent football. On the stroke of half time Jack Healy completed his hat- trick form close range after some great work from Casey, O’Reilly and Darby down the Balbriggan left. At the break it was 4-1 to Balbriggan.

The second half began and slowly Gormanston College began to take control. Balbriggan seemed to think that the game was won and the high standards they set in the first half were not being met in the second. The whole game changed and it was literally a game of two halves. Gormanston looked very dangerous and had more attacks in the first 10 minutes of the second half than they did in the whole of the first half. They were rewarded 15 minutes into the second half when they broke down the left got to the end line and pulled the ball back to the unmarked Gormanston centre forward and he had the easy task of placing it past Peter Donohoe in the Balbriggan goal from 6 yards to make it 4-2.

Balbriggan never got going at all and the game became very scrappy which seemed to suit Gormanston more as they became more dominant. Balbriggan made three changes bringing on Craig Curley, Colm O’Reilly and Carl Sower and off went Darby, Healy and Curran. The game remained in this scrappy pattern and the only really chance Balbriggan had in the second half was a shot from the edge of the box from Ryan Richardson that went narrowly wide. Gormanston pushed on and had chances only for poor finishing and fine goalkeeping from Donohoe in the Balbriggan goal kept the difference at two.

Balbriggan withdrew Casey and Niall Healy for Jordie Elbanda and Paul Mc Cormack in the final 10 minutes. However, with 5 minutes to go Carl Sower brought down the Gormanston centre forward as he bore down on the Balbriggan goal. The referee again pointed to the spot and awarded a penalty. Gormanston converted the spot kick and made it a nervy final 5 minutes but Balbriggan held on for the three points in the defense of their Leinster Title. Balbriggan now plays Donabate in the second game of the group and a draw will be enough to progress to the North East semi-final. This game will take place after the mid term

After the game Manager and Director of football in Balbriggan Community College said:

“I thought we played really well in the first half some of our football was top class. Chris Darby was excellent playing in the hole behind our centre forward Jack Healy. He tormented Gormanston in the first half and made the whole team tick. Jack Healy’s hat trick was great, his first was pure class, to turn two defenders with his back to goal, and finish so clinically was fantastic. In fairness, Jack had a hand in all our goals he was brought down for the penalty as well. He was definitely man of the match no doubt about that. We were very dangerous in wide areas with both full backs offering added attacking options. We controlled the midfield area and Gormanston hardly attacked us. The worst thing that happened us was half time. In the second half, we stopped playing completely and let Gormanston come right back into it. We could not lift our game again and I was glad to hear the final whistle. If we play as we did in the first half for the whole ninety minutes, we will go far. If we play as we did in the second half we won’t be winning any Leinster titles this year that’s for sure. We have to play for ninety minutes the second half was not good enough and I told the players this”

stock photo

stock photo