Historic Day for Balbriggan as Gaelcholáiste Opens Its DoorsSeptember 2, 2014 ADMIN 0
Coláiste Ghlór na Mara opened its doors for the first time on September 1st 2014. This much anticipated day was the culmination of six years of determined campaigning by Coláiste Ghlór na Mara’s founding committee, headed up by Tim Ó Tuachaigh.
Aoife Elster, principal, welcomed the first 26 pupils to their temporary facility in Castlelands, Balbriggan. Aoife is joined by six other newly appointed teachers, who together will offer pupils an extensive curriculum and choice of subjects all as Gaeilge.
The Gaelcholáiste will consist of 6 classrooms, a science laboratory, a learning support unit, Art Room and a staff room as well as a general purpose area. In 2016 the Gaelcholáiste will move to a 1000 pupil new build, which will be located adjacent to the new ring road, in order to cater for the 880 pupils already enrolled.
This is indeed a very exciting time for everyone involved and staff and pupils alike are determined to follow in the footsteps of other Gaelcholáistí throughout Ireland as regards teaching excellence and academic achievement.