Landmark 1916 Memorial Dedicated in Lusk by the Mayor of FingalSeptember 25, 2016 ADMIN 0
The Mayor of Fingal, Cllr Darragh Butler today officially opened a landmark 1916 Memorial in Lusk. The project follows two years of work by Lusk Community Council to create a permanent Memorial dedicated to the men and women of Lusk and Fingal who participated in the Easter 1916 Rising.
The volunteers of Lusk and neighbouring towns and villages rallied during Easter 1916 under the command of Thomas Ashe, the Principal of the local national school in Corduff. The names of all the men and women volunteers from this time are listed on a special information plaque at the Memorial. The Memorial features the 1916 Proclamation, carved in Irish limestone. The Proclamation represents the spirit and values of 1916 volunteers as they put in place the stepping stones for Ireland’s future independence.
The dedication of the Memorial in Lusk featured members of both the Lusk Black Raven Pipe Band and the Rush Saint Maurs Pipe Band, the Fingal Old IRA and members of the Defence Forces. Symbolically the Memorial is situated on a site adjoining the Carnegie Library Hall, where the Black Raven Pipe Band was founded and where Thomas Ashe gave Irish classes in the years before 1916. The site of the Memorial was kindly donated by Mr Robert Hand of Lusk, specifically for the purpose of a 1916 Memorial.
The Chairperson of Lusk Community Council, Brian Arnold, said that “1916 was a time when ordinary people from our community went on to do extraordinary things in the national interest” and that he was “delighted that so many of the descendants of these families are with us here today.”