Preston Family Descendants Return to GormanstonMay 18, 2016 ADMIN 0
Today saw direct descendants of the Preston family who lived in Gormanston castle return to St. Christopher’s church in Stamullen where there great grandfather is buried. Katie Lukas and Andrew Lukas came to visit their niece Alice Coghlan (owner of the new pottery shop on Drogheda Street in Balbriggan) who arranged a visit to the family crypt.
Cllr Tony Murphy orgainised for local historian, Brendan Mathews who is well versed on the history of the Preston family to attend to answer any questions the family had.
The manor of Gormanston was purchased by Sir Robert Preston, 1st Baron Gormanston in 1363.
Soon after he built the first Gormanston Castle at this site.
St. Christopher’ was the family chapel of the Preston family (Viscounts Gormanston) who resided at Gormanston Castle until the mid 20th century. The chapel dates to the year 1434 and is the burial place of the Preston family, Viscounts Gormanston.