Rugby & Soccer clubs based in Fingal can apply to win €2,000 for their clubApril 9, 2020 ADMIN 0
Fingal County Council launched a new Environmental Sports Competition earlier this year and now, due to the disruption caused by the COVID-19 restrictions, the closing date has been extended to April 17th. While all clubs have suspended activities for now this scheme offers a fantastic funding opportunity to introduce new sustainable measures when activity ramps up again later. Clubs can choose to introduce up to three from a wide ranging list of initiatives to be in with a chance win the €2,000.
In 2019 Fingal County Council ran a competition for Fingal GAA Clubs in which six winning clubs each won €2,500 and introduced sustainable measures into their clubs – such as efforts to eliminate single-use plastic bottles and swap shops for training gear, boots, helmets etc. Many of the clubs saved money on energy and water bills by fitting LEDs and installing sensors in urinals, lowering water pressure in club room taps, (push taps should ideally only run for about 3 seconds) . This proved to be a very worthwhile exercise. Many of the clubs involve more than 500 members and up to 3000 members so this competition is far-reaching. This year it has been decided to target soccer and rugby clubs in the Fingal area with this competition.
Clubs can choose to introduce up to three of the following initiatives to be in with a chance win the €2,000 prize:
- Elimination of single-use plastics – at training, games, camps, club shops, coffee shops, coffee docks etc.
- Re-usable cup campaign – beverages
- Setting up of a refill point (with signage) for water bottles (visit www.refill.ie)
- Green Travel initiative – travel to club grounds
- Introduce a waste management system
- Introduce a returnable boots scheme
- Reducing Energy (especially lights on during Winter)
- Run an ‘Action Day’ including a’ take-home’ message – (e.g. stop food waste, bicycle-swap scheme, bicycle maintenance workshop, plastics, polyester clothing)
- Reduction of water use – sinks, urinals, pitch,
- Create a club slogan with a green theme that can be used in club communications.
- Run a kids poster competition for environmental awareness
Visit the Fingal County Council Website at this link https://www.fingal.ie/sports-club-sustainability-competition-2020 , to find the application form and all details, then email the completed form to to email@example.com.
This Waste Prevention Project is funded by Fingal County Council and Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment. All applications received will be scored accordingly and winners will be announced early May 2020. Deadline for submission of a completed form is Friday April 17th at 4.30pm. Queries or assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org