Seachtain na Gaeilge in Fingal 2020February 21, 2020 ADMIN 0
Seachtain na Gaeilge will be celebrated in style in Fingal again in 2020 as Fingal County Council launches an exciting and varied programmed of events. This international Irish Language festival runs from 1-17 March with its motto encouraging everyone to use whatever Irish they have – Bain Triail Aisti. Council events are taking place in venues including County Hall Swords, Local Libraries, Swords Castle and Ardgillan Demesne and many other events are being organised by Irish language groups throughout the County.
On Tuesday 10th March at the Atrium County Hall Swords, there will be Ceol, Craic and Gaeilge with musicians Paudie O’Connor, Aoife Ni Chaoimh and Caoimhín O Fearghail and musicians from Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann Dublin. Paudie O Connor and Aoife Ní Chaoimh are an accordion and fiddle duet from Sliabh Luachra Kerry. They are steeped in the musical tradition of East Kerry and North Cork and they can be heard regularly on radio and television. Caoimhín Ó Fearghail is a multi-instrumentalist who comes from An Rinn in the west Waterford Gaeltacht. He plays the pipes, flute and fiddle and was the 2012 recipient of the TG4 Young Musician of the Year award (Gradam Ceoil TG4). There will be musicians from Dublin Comhaltas also as they look forward to welcoming the Leinster Fleadh to Swords in July 2020. Everyone is welcome and there will be light refreshments served. Participation is encouraged so if you have a song you’d like to share, here’s your chance!
The stunning chapel in Swords Castle will be the setting for a Lón le Gaeilge on Tuesday 3rd from 1pm and there will be a guided walk in Ardgillan Demesne on Thursday 12th at 11am. Come along and join Head Gardener Dominica McKevitt and enjoy the beautiful grounds and stunning views over the Irish Sea.
Events in local libraries include music by Antaine ó Faracháin and Nollaig Mac Cathaigh in Blanchardstown 12th at 1pm. There will be a Ciorcal Comhrá with poetry in Balbriggan the 12th at 6.45pm and Ronaldo Fanzini will be in Blanchardstown on the 19th. Malahide will host a Maidin Spraoi on Wednesday 11th from 10.30 – 12 with conversation, music and games. There will be Óga Yóga Yoga as Gaeilge also in three Libraries.
Fingal County Council events:
- Ceol Craic agus Gaeilge, County Hall, Swords, Tuesday March 10th 6.45pm to 9pm
- Lunch with Irish Conversation, Chapel Swords Castle Tuesday March 3rd 1-2pm
- Maidin Spraoi Malahide Library Wednesday March 11th 10.30 to 12
- Guided Walk in Ardgillan Demesne Thursday 12th at 11am
- Sean-Nós Singing & Traditional Music – Antaine ÓFaracháin (Songs/Fiddle) & Nollaig Mac Cárthaigh (Uilleann Pipes) Blanchardstown Library Thursday 12th at 1pm
- Ronaldo Fanzini brings a fun Circus event for all ages to Blanchardstown Library Thursday March 19th 3.30pm –4.30pm
Some other events:
- Ciorcal Comhrá Saturday 7th and 14th 12-1.30 Molly’s Café Balbriggan and Pop up Gaeltacht with music session, Monday 9th Central Bar 8.30pm with Gaeilge i mBaile Brigín
- Scór na bPáistí Fingallian’s GAA Club Swords on March 1st and Ciorcal Comhrá with music on 4th and 11th and Lá Mór nGael 17th March
- Irish language Coffee Mornings – Maidineacha Caife around the county http://maidineacha-caife.weebly.com/
Mayor Fingal Cllr. Eoghan O’Brien commented “I am really looking forward to attending some of these events during Seachtain na Gaeilge, particularly the music in County Hall on March 10th. There are some great events in the programme and Seachtain na Gaeilge gives people of all ages and abilities the opportunity to engage with the language in a fun way”
Chief Executive of Fingal AnnMarie Farrelly said “Seachtain na Gaeilge is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the Irish language and culture. That culture will be celebrated in Swords in July when the Leinster Fleadh comes to the town and Fingal County Council is proud to support this. I am delighted to welcome Comhaltas musicians and the Fingal Community to County Hall during Seachtain na Gaeilge.”
The programme of events can be downloaded from the Fingal County Council Website https://www.fingal.ie/events/seachtain-na-gaeilge