Tesco Community Challenge Donates €1,500 to Three Local GroupsApril 17, 2014 ADMIN 0
Tesco Extra Balbriggan has donated €1,500 between three local good causes, as part of its “Tesco Supporting Our Community” initiative. The lucky charities are Balbriggan Branch of the Irish Guide Dogs received €675, Remember Us received €525 and O’Dwyer’s GAA Club received €300. Customers are given a token at the checkout every time they shop in the store and then place that token in the box allotted to their favoured local good causes. At the end of every six-week period, the number of tokens received by each good cause is counted and the €1,500 store fund is distributed proportionally to the good causes.
Every six weeks, three new local good causes are nominated, thus giving more local groups the opportunity to receive funding.
The “Tesco Supporting Our Community Scheme” is just one of a number of programmes run by the retailer to support local communities and good causes.
- Tesco’s Charity of the Year, AWARE, has benefited from over €1.8million raised over the past two years.
- Tesco’s Lions Food Appeal at Christmas raised enough food to create 80,000 meals
- Tesco is working with Foodcloud in 17 stores to trial a mobile app that allows our stores to donate fresh food nearing its sell by date to local charities. So far, over 7 tonnes of food, or 25,000, meals have been donated.
- Tesco recently announced a €60,000 donation to Bia, to help set up a food bank initiative in Cork.
The charities which will share in the next €1,500 store fund have been announced as:
- Balbriggan Cancer Support Group
- Remember Us
- Meals on Wheels Balbriggan.
Customer voting will commence in-store shortly.